Jon M. Ernster wrote:

George,

Thank you very much!  Once again something wasn’t installed (simscan) – I installed it and ran those commands below and now spamassassin is functional.

I appreciate the tip as well on sending the test message – it worked great…when setting up my server I was using a secondary domain for testing prior to moving over my production domain and there were some residual affects of using the secondary name that were left behind…creating those test emails helped me resolve a lot of the secondary domain references that qmail was using throughout files in the /var/qmail/control directory.

Now that I have SpamAssassin enabled there are emails coming through with ***SPAM*** in the subjects.  Is there a config file for SpamAssassin that I can configure its functionality.  And also is there a way to setup content filters server or side or should I just set them up inside the mail program?  When I used cpanel it had functionality of setting up content filters but I’m not sure if it interfaced with the MTA some how or if it was a third party program or what (it wasn’t qmail running anyhow).

I’ll have to start reading through some of the threads previous people have made regarding SpamAssassin to hopefully get more familiar with how it works.

I appreciate everyone’s help – you guys have a great community here with a lot of helpful people.

Glad to see you've got it working.
To configure spamassassin, edit the file /etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
This will allow you to set some things, like at what score you want to to tag messages as ** SPAM **. As far as content filters - what are you looking to do? There's a script in /etc/mail (mailfilter is the script) that will send messages over a specific score to a user's Spam folder (you can set CHKUSER_MBXQUOTA="99" in your tcp.smtp for both the localhost and the other entries to fix the quota issue with the folder).