I had all of the below, my only problem with re-installing is that I will be faced with the same problem I have now, re-creating assign, virtualdomains, rcpthost, locals. Most of this is simple, in fact I believe I am that far, I think what exists is that qmail-send, qmail-lspawn, whatever programs are in the local delivery pipeline once the email gets here, do not have appropriate permissions, I am down to trying figure out all of that pipeline is. qmail-send, simply says no such user, qmail-smtpd when coming from external, seems to point to the 'real' problem, i.e. can't change to the directory to deliver. I am down to trying to follow that pipeline through, to see who needs what permissions. That would be interesting, because, basically the only (most important) part that fails is the local delivery part once the message arrives, I can actually send mail to other mx.
The fact is the mail arrives.
David Good wrote:

Operations wrote:

If anyone has any insight on this, any help woudl be greatly appreciated.
It killing me, if my customers don't first....
Operations wrote:

Hi all -
I was browsing through the archives for somehting on this, maybe someon knows off
of the top of their head... (fingers crossed).  Here is the problem:

1) Qmail is receiving email, but not delivering.

Here is what caused the problem:

I in-advertantly deleted the /var/qmail directory, so all that was working is not,
had to re-create.
This is what I have done so far:

whoa! that's bad....

[EMAIL PROTECTED] ~]$ find /var/qmail/* |more
/var/qmail/alias
/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-root
/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-mailer-daemon
/var/qmail/alias/.qmail-postmaster
/var/qmail/bin
/var/qmail/bin/splogger
/var/qmail/bin/forward
/var/qmail/bin/bouncesaying
/var/qmail/bin/condredirect
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-getpw
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-smtpd
/var/qmail/bin/predate
/var/qmail/bin/maildir2mbox
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-badmimetypes
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-tcpok
/var/qmail/bin/preline
/var/qmail/bin/maildirwatch
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pw2u
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-qread
/var/qmail/bin/instcheck
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-newmrh
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-newmrh
/var/qmail/bin/mailsubj
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-dk
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-badloadertypes
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-queue.orig
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-send
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-tcpto
/var/qmail/bin/qsmhook
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-qmqpc
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-start
/var/qmail/bin/tcp-env
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-clean
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-remote
/var/qmail/bin/qbiff
/var/qmail/bin/qreceipt
/var/qmail/bin/maildirmake
/var/qmail/bin/config-fast
/var/qmail/bin/simscanmk
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-pop3d
/var/qmail/bin/datemail
/var/qmail/bin/except
/var/qmail/bin/dh_key
/var/qmail/bin/qmail-qmqpd

i could go on...but you should see my point

1) recreated the 'assign' file.
2) recreated the 'locals' file.
3) recreated the 'rcpthost' file.

sorry guy,

IANAL or a qmailtoaster expert either, deleting /var/qmail/ killed lots and lots of stuff (not just the 3 files you have indicated that you re-created) required for the toaster to work...FUBAR, if you cannot recover directories and files from a backup (what is a backup?).

i would suggest a re-install is in order. all mails and such are stored in /home/... so you basically need to run through the current install instructions again...remembering to edit the appropriate scripts to match what you have in place already (no goof-ups). i hope you took precise notes and recorded mysql password and so on. this should repair the missing application dirs/files and the data (mail) should be untouched in /home/....AGAIN, PROVIDED YOU INSTALL USING THE EXACT SAME PARAMETERS USED AT INSTALL...OTHERWISE IT WILL BE START FROM SCRATCH.(not yelling, just emphasizing) if done correctly, it should work

that is my opinion FWIW.

that seems to be the preferred way you upgrade this beast when it goes live, as in production, too.

any true "experts" care to chime in?

signed,
LUSER=linux+user