Nick,

I'm trying to set $ARCH according to uname. Which should I use?

# uname -p
i686
# uname -i
i386

According to man uname, -p is the processor type (more specific), and -i is the hardware platform (less specific). My machine is a Pentium-II, so i686 is correct for the processor. Will toaster packages build ok with --target=i686? (According to an earlier email, it will). Any problem with using ARCH=`uname -p` that you know of? It seems to me that it'd be better optimized.

What does SuSE give? That appears to be compiled optimized for plain Pentium.