Thanks to Erik for pointing me in the right direction and getting me started on this. I don't know if this will materialize or not, but here's what I've found to this point.

Greylisting has reportedly had much success in the spam war. There are benefits, but there are also drawbacks. There are many web references which discuss the situation. Here is a brief summary:

Benefits:
.) spam is rejected at the smtp layer, which translates into substantial savings in bandwidth and server resources (load)
.) very high rate of rejection (at least for now)
.) little impact on users and administrators to implement
.) no false positives

Drawbacks (summary):
.) delay in receiving first-time correspondence
.) first-time becomes every-time for some list mailers, ezmlm in particular
.) all mail servers in a domain must implement greylisting for it to be effective

While greylisting is not a replacement for existing spam fighting tools, it's a nice addition to the arsenal and makes some existing tools more effective. While the drawbacks are considerable, there are ways of dealing with them that are manageable. I've concluded that I'd like to see greylisting as a feature of the Toaster.

I proceeded to search for existing greylist software that would fit well in the Toaster. There are a lot of solutions available (I won't go into details here), but only one that I thing might fit well with the Toaster. It's available from Bill Shupp (http://www.shupp.org), who made the qmail and clamav patches.

Bill notes on his website that this patch is EXPERIMENTAL. Has anyone here experimented with it at all? Is there any reason why we (I?) shouldn't give it a try?

I also found a nice additional patch at http://www.dewmill.com/qmail.html
which apparently allows for per-user control of virus scanning, greylisting, and acceptable recepients. I'd like to see this patch added in conjunction with greylisting. It would allow for easier phased-in implementation of greylisting, while providing other per-user tailoring as well.

Erik mentioned previously that most qmail greylisting patches do not work properly in conjunction with smtp-auth. Does anyone know if this also the case or not with these patches?

I'm interested to know what anyone thinks of this (especially J/E/N). I don't want to delve further into this without some sort of group consensus. TIA for your input.

P.S. The problem with ezmlm will be taken up later in a separate thread. It may or may not still be a concern, but has no bearing on implementing greylisting with qmail (the toaster).