On Sep 13, 2006, at 9:23 AM, South Computers wrote:

Just a thought/question. I have had a backup server running for the last year or so now, and it works great. But I was wondering if anyone out there have any thoughts on setting up the backup server to accept all pop3 connections no matter what the username/ password, but of course, deliver no mail. The problem is that when the system is in failover state, and pointing to the backup server, when a client tries to retrieve their email most email clients prompt for the username/password if they are not automatically authenticated. Often, the user will attempt to put in a different username or password, and screw up their settings, when they are in fact actually correct.

i thought about this problem and hacked up a trivial POP3 server in Perl:

http://www.vecna.org/software/bogopop.html

it listens on 110/tcp and basically says OK to the basic set of POP commands (but always says there are no new messages). i haven't tested it beyond making sure that it does what it says it does, and i'm sure there are problems that i haven't yet run into (i have no idea how well it would scale, for example), but it might be a start of a solution.

it works on a RHEL4 machine and is pretty standard, so i would assume it'll work on other Linuxes.

-steve

--
If this were played upon a stage now, I could condemn it as an improbable fiction. - Fabian, Twelfth Night, III,v