I certainly agree. I've only seen them once and a while on a sick toaster.

Once your've killed them (with qmail stopped, I presume), do the they reappear? What program are the zombies running?

Michael Amster wrote:
That may be so, but I wonder if this does not indicate something "wrong". It's akin to when you see svstat times of 1 second. You know that the multilog is not running, or something else is wrong with the parent process. I can live with it, but I would like it to be optimal if I could.

-MA

Eric "Shubes" wrote:

Michael Amster wrote:

I am noticing that I get a fair number of processes with owner clamav and spamc [defunct]. They do not appear to harm mail delivery, but I wanted to see if I was missing something like some log directory or other thing. I assume this comes from simscan. Anyone run into this issue? A happy machine has no zombie processes...

-MA

I've seen these on occasion too. I've simply killed them.