Ok, so here's my situation.

I have two apparently identical low-volume servers. One shows the corruption
symptoms, the other doesn't (yet).

Here is the local.cf (same on both):
ok_locales all
skip_rbl_checks 0
required_hits 5
report_safe 0
rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]
use_pyzor 1
use_auto_whitelist 1
bayes_path /home/vpopmail/.spamassassin/bayes
use_bayes 1
use_bayes_rules 1
bayes_auto_learn 1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 7.0
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam 0.1
bayes_auto_expire 1

The problem seems to manifest itself when tokens begin to become due to expire.

# spamassassin -D bayes --lint
shows that the problem server has never sync'd, while the one which hasn't
failed (yet) shows a sync'd value.

Does anyone know when, under normal operation, the bayes db is supposed to
be sync'd? I would think that after an autolearn=ham or autolearn=spam that
this would happen. On one server it appears to do so (and things are fine),
but on one where it doesn't (for a long period of time), the expiration
process appears to exhibit problems.

Some of this observation may be coincidental, but I'm thinking that not
syncing might be the root cause of this problem.

I've gotta go for now, but will try to follow up on this thread as soon as I
can.