I performed an experiment to see what happens - I removed all the RBLs and saw that the response decayed from instant response after a qmailctl restart to about 15s after about 1hr. of running. It looks like the RBLs have no impact on my response time. This points to bayes expiration as an issue.

my relevant spamassassin local.cf:
ok_locales all
skip_rbl_checks 0
report_safe 1
lock_method flock
rewrite_header Subject [SPAM]
required_score 6.0
bayes_file_mode 0666
auto_whitelist_path /home/vpopmail/.spamassassin/auto-whitelist
use_pyzor 1
use_razor2 1
use_dcc 1
use_auto_whitelist 1
use_bayes 1
bayes_auto_learn 1
use_bayes_rules 1
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_spam 7.0
bayes_auto_learn_threshold_nonspam 0.1
bayes_auto_expire 1
bayes_path /home/vpopmail/.spamassassin/bayes

-MA

Eric "Shubes" wrote:

Jake Vickers wrote:
jason p wrote:
I removed sbl-xbl.spamhaus.org a few weeks ago when their legal troubles
started; it was causing me SMTP timeout problems back then.  I tried
putting
it back once about a week ago, and as soon as I did my SMTP connections
started taking forever.  I also removed the others because they either
didn't respond to pings (not a big deal, many servers don't) or they
didn't
resolve to an IP address (I don't think that is good).  I would try
sticking
just the servers that you know are good in there first, then add the
others
one at a time.
Very few BL's will be ping-able, or resolve. They're essentially DNS
servers. Your machine makes a query to them (using this email as an
example) asking who qmailtoaster.com is. If the BL server returns
"127.0.0.1" (this result can change from BL to BL) then your machine
knows it's good. If it returns "127.0.0.2" then it knows it's bad and
can bounce it.

EE wrote a nice explanation on the list too a little while back. Check the
archives.