Sorry, I seem to be missing something here. I've read the whole thread, and I still can't figure out.. Why? What is your ultimate goal? A fax & voicemail server?

Ronnie Tartar wrote:

I need to create an SMTP gateway that will take attachments, wav and tiff and convert them to mp3 and (jpeg or pdf). Any ideas on how to start this?

I hate storing wave files on mail server and faxes in tiff format. too much space.