Hi Peter,

  1. Please check if your /var/qmail/control/blacklists contains any
  obsolete servers and make sure they can respond to you wihtin a resonable
  time.  You can also minimize your blacklist.  Currently, I have only one
  entry:
  -r zen.spamhaus.org
  2. If you connect to the email server by using your ISP's dynamic IP,
  make sure it is not blacklisted.  If that's the problem you are facing, you
  may consider creating the submission port (port 587) for authenticated users
  to send email.  I suppose the stable version should have already had such
  feature built-in (Would anybody correct me if I am wrong).

Best regards,
Bill