Erik Espinoza wrote:
> Hi ES,
>
>> Without looking at the code in much detail, I can tell that the
>> problem lies
>> with version numbering. This routine assumes (erroneously) that packages
>> have a version number that conforms to n.n.n-n.n.n format. While this is
>> true for toaster packages, it's not true for other packages such as zlib
>> which have both non-toaster and toaster versions. Why the toaster
>> version of
>> zlib isn't named zlib-toaster, I've no idea. I also don't know what the
>> difference is between the toaster and non-toaster versions. I think it's
>> safe to say that you probably want the toaster version though (that's
>> what
>> I'm running).
>
> The name is kept the same (sans toaster) because it is a dependency
> for so many packages. The reason we include it is because there are
> clamd issues with older versions of zlib. It is not installed unless
> necessary, for example on FC6 which ships with the same version of
> zlib, we don't install it when using the fc6 install script.

I figured there was a good reason. :)

Is there a specific version of zlib I can check for in qtp-newmodel (i.e. if
zlib ?.?.?-?.? or better is installed, don't bother with the toaster
version), so that it only asks for the toaster version when necessary?

>> If your toaster is not currently deployed (running live), the fix is
>> easy.
>> Simply
>> # rpm -e --nodeps zlib
>> to remove the existing package. The toaster's zlib should be
>> automatically
>> selected and installed, and away you go.
>
> I'd be careful of running this command, as you can be left with a broken
> system.

That's why I asked if he was running live. ;)

Now that I think of it though, rpmbuild might not work without it. EGADS!
I suppose that it could always be yum'd back though, no?