James F. Jarrett wrote:
I have been told by our administrative staff that they want me to start
saving all e-mails sent / received for a period of time (the duration to
keep this data is still up in the air).

I know that tap can forward any / all e-mail to *ANOTHER* email address
in another domain, and I could setup a second domain on the toaster to
handle receiption of this mail, but it seems inefficient.  Is there a
way to simply have tap store all this mail to a local text file?
I could then have cron job that works like a log package that creates a
new file every day and then can regularly backup those files to offline
storage.
QMT uses the Maildir format, so each email is already in a text file format. When tap sends a copy to a new email address, in that directory (/home/vpopmail/domains/newdomain/newuser/Maildir/new/) it creates a text file with the message stamp. You can then do whatever you want with it in theory.
Hope that helps some.