When I reboot the server and then run: ps -el | grep 'Z' I get nothing. I have to stop, then start qmail to replicate the problem. Then I get-

ps -el | grep 'Z'       returns:
F S   UID   PID  PPID  C PRI  NI ADDR SZ WCHAN  TTY          TIME CMD
4 Z 0 3441 3391 0 81 0 - 0 exit pts/1 00:00:00 supervise <defunct>

# ps -aux |more         returns:
root 3605 0.0 0.0 0 0 pts/1 Z 18:56 0:00 [supervise] <defunct>

not sure what to do with that. When I bring down qmail I get nothing from ps -el | grep 'Z' It only shows a zombie when I stop and then start qmail. But this also happens when I am not manually stopping/starting qmail so I'm not sure what is causing the problem.

Thanks,
-Erik G.

Eric "Shubes" wrote:
It sounds like you have a zombie clamd running. If pid 3282 is still
running, kill it, and supervise should start it back up again.

If it doesn't restart on its own, bring down qmail, check for any zombies,
then restart qmail.

HTH.

Erik Grammer wrote:
Hi all,

Running fully updated toaster (as of 2/23/07) on fedora 4.  Prior to the
full update I manually updated clamav with the devel package on Erik's
site and started receiving the following error on restarting qmail:

# supervise: fatal: unable to acquire clamd/supervise/lock: temporary
failure

I removed the clamav package and then went to a full update using
'qtp-newmodel' Everything went smoothly with the updates and outgoing
mail is fine and incoming works after a server reboot but somewhere
along the line mail stops coming in.  Restarting qmail returns:

Starting qmail-toaster: svscan.

and then:

# supervise: fatal: unable to acquire clamd/supervise/lock: temporary
failure

qmailctl stat returns:

authlib: up (pid 437) 8 seconds
clamd: up (pid 3282) 88511 seconds, want down
imap4: up (pid 419) 9 seconds
imap4-ssl: up (pid 431) 6 seconds
pop3: up (pid 403) 9 seconds
pop3-ssl: up (pid 494) 4 seconds
send: up (pid 425) 9 seconds
smtp: up (pid 459) 7 seconds
spamd: up (pid 413) 9 seconds
submission: up (pid 445) 8 seconds
authlib/log: up (pid 442) 8 seconds
clamd/log: up (pid 455) 7 seconds
imap4/log: up (pid 422) 9 seconds
imap4-ssl/log: up (pid 433) 8 seconds
pop3/log: up (pid 406) 9 seconds
pop3-ssl/log: up (pid 472) 5 seconds
send/log: up (pid 411) 8 seconds
smtp/log: up (pid 462) 6 seconds
spamd/log: up (pid 415) 9 seconds
submission/log: up (pid 452) 5 seconds

I thought I had seen an email on the list from Erik about a bug in the
Clamav package that had been fixed but I can't find the email and am now
at a loss.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Erik G.