I use SuperMicro 1U in various configuration (2x opteron, 2x xeon, 1x P4) and price is from 800$-2000$ depends of hardware. It's a big diffirent (and price) if you are running IMAP with a lot of users, i use 3WARE 12ch SATA RAID and 12x250Gb (RAID 5 + HOT SPARE)
with 120 email accaunts, after 1 year im on cca.50% remaining space :(