  From: Bill Kwok
  To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
  Sent: Sunday, June 10, 2007 5:28 PM
  Subject: Re: [qmailtoaster] help getting tmomail.net MMS messages -- "invalid
sender" issues

  You may have a look about Nick's email:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com/msg04628.html

  Best regards,
  Bill

  On 6/1/07, Adam Cantwell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
    >> Need some help getting tmomail.net MMS messages into my qmail
    >> server.  Gmail.com has
    >> apparently overcome the "invalid sender" issues which are blocked by
    >> chkuser.  Mail to
    >> earthlink.net  also succeeds.
    >>
    >> My qmail / vpopmail:  vpopmail-toaster-5.4.13-1.3.3  Uses chkuser:  v.
    >> 2.0.8 for vpopmail > 5.3.x
    >>
    >> Email server blocks MMS email from tmomail.net
    >>
    >> e.g. # grep -i 'invalid sender address format' Log  |  tai64nlocal
    >>    Log /var/log/qmail/[EMAIL PROTECTED]
    >> Produces "invalid sender address format" for the TMOMAIL MMS email..
    >>
    >> 2007-05-28 21:31:54.930953500 CHKUSER rejected sender:  from \
    >>    <1805nnnnnnn/[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote
    >> <mailx06.tmomail.net:unknown:66.94.9.236> \
    >
    > I get the same thing when a user I have tries to send using his Tmobile
    > phone. Whats happening is the / in the username; what chkuser is seeing is
    > "1805nnnnnnn/TYPE= [EMAIL PROTECTED]" as the username. It doesn't like the
    > slash. You can recompile chkuser to accept these, if you don't mind
    > opening a security risk like that (actually, I'm not 100% positive you
can
    > allow a / or not...).

    Coincidentally, I just had this same issue come up.  According to RFC
    2822, a forward slash apparently is a valid character in an address -
    http://www.zvon.org/tmRFC/RFC2822/Output/chapter3.html#dot-atom.

    Am I reading this wrong?

    In the Chkuser documentation,

http://www.interazioni.it/opensource/chkuser/documentation/chkuser_settings.html#MX_format_checking
    there is apparently an environment variable you can set called
    "CHKUSER_ALLOW_SENDER_CHAR_xxx" where you can tell it to allow certain
    characters, but a "/" isn't one of them.

    Did the original poster ever come up with a solution other than
    recompiling Chkuser?

    Adam