I dont have a great server either, but I didn't notice any problems with mail
processing performance.
It did reduce almost 90% of the spam through our server.

The good thing is that it only requires a line in your smtpd-run script, so if
you notice that something is not going well, you can just remove the line and
your're back with your previous setup.

Regards- Sergio