Linked is a little quicker than copied, and uses a lot less HD space (which
is largely why it's quicker - much less copying to do).

The new union filesystem is the quickest by far, and uses an absolute
minimum amount of HD space. The most recent version of qmailtoaster-plus
contains the union filesystem. I'm not sure why you wouldn't be prompted to
use it. You might want to get rid of your old sandbox first:
# rm -rf /opt/qtp-sandbox
(if it's in the standard place)

It does take a couple minutes to build the unionfs kernel module, but it's
far less time than building even a linked sandbox. Once the unionfs module
is built for a given kernel, the sandbox is created as fast as it can mount
a filesystem (in the blink of an eye).

You won't have to create /var/spool/authdaemon if you use unionfs. You will
have to create it though for copied or linked sandbox (until we fix the script).

Let us know how you make out.