On Wed, May 28, 2008 9:44 am, Eric Shubert wrote:
> This is a problem between rpms and CPAN. rpms have no knowledge of
what's
> installed via CPAN, so dependencies specified in rpms need to be
installed
> as rpms.

the guys (seasoned admins, mostly) on the Centos list (most of us are
using Centos, right?) frequently maintain that you should avoid cpan and
install via rpm, that way the package manager is aware of the installed
perl modules.

last december/january, i compiled a list of cpan modules required for the
current SA upgrade, weeded out those supplied by Centos base, and had my
list handy.  i attempted to use cpanflute(?) to build my own, but i failed
and wasn't very motivated to figure out why.

I submitted a request to Field Commander Weirs to see if he would add
those to the modules he already builds.  i attempted to 'bribe' him by
sending him something from his amazon wish list.  i don't know that he
received either request/bribe.

anyhoo, having these dependencies in place in a repo, either rpmforge,
epel, or a qmt pool, would certainly ease the install/upgrade process, not
that it is very difficult as it is.
--
fuzzy (toasting since 04/2006)