Thanks for the reply!
in regards to my version of clamav-toaster
i did a rpm -qa | grep toaster

and got back

clamav-toaster-0.90-1.3.10
      among many other things........
qmail-toaster-1.03-1.3.13
qmailtoaster-plus-0.2.10-1.3.12
spamassassin-toaster-3.1.7-1.3.6
simscan-toaster-1.3.1-1.3.4

Does that confirm anything?
and how might one " ...updated by hand to the newer version of clamav ..."
I find this
http://www.mail-archive.com/qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com/msg18767.html
( looks scary )
Should I update to qtp- new model?
I suppose I can find a definitive "how-to" for the qtp-newmodel upgrade.
( my kernel vers is new and I have plenty of disk space)
I suppose there may be other benefits ... honestly the email server has been so solid that i have sort of 'forgotten' about it.

How can I confirm that i /need/ to upgrade clamav... i was thinking that if i did top during a time of soft reject that I would see clamav -- would you agree with that ? -- and would that prove the problem?
also what do we think happens if I do zero?-- will it get worse?
Thanks again.

jim shupert ( hey - change a letter and we are cousins )

Eric Shubert wrote:
Jim,

You probably have the same problem as found here:

Which clamav-toaster version (specifically) are you running?

You're pretty much right on with the log. You should try using qmlog though.
Those date/time stamps aren't very user friendly, are they? ;)

Jim Shupert wrote:
Friends,
yesterday -- for a period of time (~10-30 min) there seemed to be
several emails that were sent to one of my domains that the sender
emails were being bounced back.( the sender was outside my domain -
sending to my domain )

I looked in my logs
i see this ::
qq soft reject (mail server temporarily rejected message (#4.3.0))

/snip from my smtp log :{{smtp-log-2008-05-28-15:07}}: i have changed
some of the ip nums and user names::
to hopefully - make it easier for you to diagnose

@40000000483dacfe0598a7c4 tcpserver: pid 29436 from 12.34.55.55
@40000000483dacfe059a595c tcpserver: ok 29436
sifter.pps-inc.com:192.168.100.100:25 :12.34.55.55::55586
@40000000483dacfe1b9f115c CHKUSER accepted sender: from
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote <mail1.ipsos.com:unknown:12.34.55.55>
rcpt <> : sender accepted
@40000000483dacfe1c12d9fc CHKUSER accepted rcpt: from
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]::> remote <mail1.ipsos.com:unknown:12.34.55.55>
rcpt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> : found existing recipient
@40000000483dacfe2bf32ad4 connect(): Connection refused
@40000000483dacfe2bffe4a4 qmail-smtpd: qq soft reject (mail server
temporarily rejected message (#4.3.0)):
MAILFROM:<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> RCPTTO:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
@40000000483dacfe2e3fa344 tcpserver: end 29436 status 0
@40000000483dacfe2e3faefc tcpserver: status: 2/100
@40000000483dad0520afb6c4 tcpserver: status: 3/100

/ end snip

I find this from the archive
http://www.mail-archive.com/qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com/msg16132.html

I have Not updated spamassassin or clamav  recently ( though I did do a
OS update on 5.17.2008 )
note this seemed to 'heal' itself - meaning the email started to come
through.
I did a Top  and did not see simscan up there.............

so - why was email being rejected? - what can i look for?
I am just trying to get my head around this.
any assistance is appreciated - thanks!

and a sub - question - I think in the above snip I have given the
"complete session" from the
@40000000483dacfe0598a7c4 tcpserver: pid 29436 from 12.34.55.55
@40000000483dad0520afb6c4 tcpserver: status: 3/100

is that true is that all the log stuff for 1 pc of mail , 1 transaction
( if that is what it is called )
thanks!
jim