Chris Hillman wrote:
Hey All,

I just wanted to post this to the list in case anyone else is seeing this issue. I was not receiving email notifications from facebook, while other users on my server were. I tracked it down to the CHKUSER patch not accepting a ~ character in a sender address as valid. Rather than edit the source code and recompile, I just disabled the sender address check system wide.

This is what I saw in the qmail smtp log…

@400000004937181e39835da4 CHKUSER rejected sender: from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]:: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]::>> remote <mx-out.facebook.com:unknown:69.63.184.101> rcpt <> : invalid sender address format

@400000004937195b333c43ac CHKUSER rejected sender: from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]:: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]::>> remote <mx-out.facebook.com:unknown:69.63.178.162> rcpt <> : invalid sender address format

@4000000049371d410d2b548c CHKUSER rejected sender: from <[EMAIL PROTECTED]:: <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]::>> remote <mx-out.facebook.com:unknown:69.63.184.105> rcpt <> : invalid sender address format

I edited the tcp.smtp and added SENDER_NOCHECK="1" to disable the check. I guess Blackberry servers also use odd characters fairly commonly.

Hope this helps someone else,

*Chris Hillman *

*Systems Administrator
Clearwater Research, Inc.**
*
office: 208-336-3376 ext. 408
www.clearwater-research.com <http://www.clearwater-research.com/>

I'd sure like to see these special characters allowed by the stock toaster. They have been a PITA for quite some time now, and I don't think that allowing them would pose any type of problem. If someone (EE/Jake) ventures to do this, please check with the list to see which characters various folks have needed to add.

FWIW, I really dislike the practice of having to edit the tcp.smtp file. Doesn't seem very secure to me.