James Beam wrote:

As I looked at some of the logs, I noticed the following happening alot: from spamd logs:
@4000000049cb87e92a31cfac [2374] info: prefork: child states: BBBBB
@4000000049cb87e92a31d77c [2374] info: prefork: server reached --max-children setting, consider raising it
I have no clue where to raise the child limits.
when I run top, the system has 1.2gig ram free all the time so I do not think it is a memory issue. Does anyone have any ideas? This is driving me nuts.

You can increase the max number of children by editing the /var/qmail/supervise/spamd/run file and changing it to:
#!/bin/sh
exec /usr/bin/spamd -x -u vpopmail -m 10 -s stderr 2>&1
Or so. -m 10 allows up to 10 children to be generated. The default is 5.
You may also want to look at compiling your spamassassin rules and enabling that feature. This will speed things up some.