Chris Hillman wrote:

I've created a forward on my server for a friend to receive email notifications, and need the forwarded message to have a new sender address.

I've seen lots of stuff on .qmail files, and setting the NEWSENDER env variable to whatever you want it to be, but don't see a way to accomplish this. There is no .qmail file for the forward, only an enty in the valias table.

You can create a .qmail file. They are not used by default, but once you create one it should be processed as normal.
You may also want to look at SRS, which is included in QMT:
http://www.libsrs2.org/index.html