Thanks for all the suggestions - we got it to work.

We looked in our /var/log/httpd/error_log and we did have error messages
concerning the compatibility plugin such as the following:

PHP Fatal error: Cannot redeclare sqauth_read_password() (previously
declared in
/usr/share/squirrelmail/plugins/compatibility/includes/1.5.1/global.php:187

Last night when we had re-run the qtp-restore after commenting out the
plugins restoraction section we had forgotten to restore back to an
earlier version of the server (so it had left in the other restoration of
the plugins).

We restored the server back to the stage before we brought over the backup
file, commented out the plugins sections of the qtp-restore file again,
and then re-ran the qtp-restore command.

This time we were able to log in to the webmail and all the old mail was
there.

We then saved a copy of the new plugin directory and brought over the old
plugin directory. We deleted the compatibility plugin and downloaded the
latest version of the compatibility plugin from squirrelmail's website.
Then we were still able to log in ok.

Thanks everybody.