Ext4 is right around the corner. :)

Edwin Casimero wrote:
Thanks for the performance tweak reminder.

I think MySQL tuning on qmailtoaster only works when you have lots and lots and lots of users / email addresses.

I got a big performance boost by using SUSE Linux and IBM JFS instead of EXT3.

I use toaster in my office server to store all our email for all past years. IBM JFS is more suited to handle thousands of files in 1 folder.

Best wishes,
Edwin

Phil Leinhauser wrote:
Last week Jake mentioned about tuning my MySQL might help my QMT from choking and thus stop the Earth from slowing it's rotation and orbit speed, etc...

I did a bit of digging and thought I would share what I found. Here is a guy that wrote a nice script for testing the current performance and makes recommenations for improvement.
http://www.day32.com/MySQL <http://www.day32.com/MySQL/tuning-primer.sh>

In order for the script to have a good snapshot of what is happening, your MySQL should be running for at least 48 hours.

When I ran it, it recommended the following:
long_query_time = 5  << WAS 10
query-cache-type = 1  << WAS NOT RUNNING
query-cache-size = 20M << JUST A STARTING POINT
table_cache = 100 << WAS RUNNING 64 AND FULL. There are 78 tables in my database so I just picked 100.

I restarted the MySQLd and so far it seems to have helped. It takes a few days for my systems to start slowing so time will tell.

Hopefully this will help others tweak their servers and maybe even keep the Earth from crashing into the sun...

Phil