Has anyone thought about the idea of removing the date-coding of the
script in order to facilitate the full capability of rsync for when you
copy your backup files to another location?

Just a thought since my backup files are typically 5+GB and growing, an
rsync has to move the whole file every time and not just the diffs since
the files names and such are different on each backup.

Another possibility I've been looking into for a direct mirror is
changing the tar statements into either rsync or rdiff-backup statements
(once again losing the date-code variables).

Any thoughts, or pitfalls?

Thank you,
Patrick Ring