I may have found the problem.  It appears to be the application and not
the mail server.  I was only renaming the outgoing account within
Thunderbird.  I added another outgoing account and was able to get it to
ask me for the password.  I am guessing (with no real way to confirm
without delving into the inner workings of Thunderbird) that the
password is not being deleted when I change the server and it doesn't
kick it back as an incorrect password.  Once I created a new account,
closed and re-opened the application it connected and requested the
password.  I inserted the password and it authenticated and sent the
mail properly.

I guess the real question is does Thunderbird have a cache for passwords
and a password file?  Can the password file be edited to clear passwords?

CJ