Jake Vickers wrote:
Maxwell Smart wrote:
Hey thanks for all your help.  I have a much better understanding of the
setup and the difference between IMAP and POP3.

Using Thunderbird for IMAP was a snap and I can now view all folders on
the  server in my client including the SPAM folder.

Just remember that IMAP doesn't work the same with Outlook; IMAP is annoying in Outlook IMHO.

I'll 2nd that opinion. Outlook'07 is a bit better then '03, but the way it handles deleted messages is hokey. I think MS may have done this purposefully to encourage people away from IMAP and toward Exchange. Seriously.

I do have users who've adjusted ok to Outlook with IMAP though. Especially when they can use their blackberries with it. :)

IMAP is also a little more resource intensive. When you're dealing with <50 users it does not matter at all, but if you go beyond that you'll at least need to brush through the IMAP config file on the server.

I wonder how much dovecot has done to remove this constraint. I don't have any servers with that many users (yet).

Hey Peter, how's dovecot doing for you? How many users?

I personally only use pop3 for accounts where I do not care if the messages are synced or not (my personal email account, my junk one, etc.). For everything else, I run IMAP so it will be the same on my desktop or my laptop. Easier that way.

Personally, I don't use pop3 any more at all. :)