Just 'dig' a few known domains and see what response times look like.

# dig qmailtoaster.com
# dig google.com
# dig yahoo.com

Do you have a caching nameserver installed on your toaster? That might help.
# yum install caching-nameserver bind-chroot

What's in your /etc/resolv.conf file?
(this shows the nameservers for resolving DNS)

Is your pop3 download and SMTP upload slowness continual during the session/transfer, or is is just slow getting started?

Peter Tan wrote:
Thanks. I'm not very sure, but it used to work. I don't have many users on the servers, the problem may have been there from beginning. Any examples of a proper DNS config?

Peter