> ----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Collingwood" <
> scott.collingw...@it-medic.ca>

I without fail install Webmin on all my qmt installations as well as for all
my CentOS installs.
This is the procedure I follow
I enable the following repo so that I can install webmin via yum.
http://blog.doylenet.net/?p=23
Please note this repo is for CentOS 5.x
It then is a breeze to install webmin via yum. It defaults to one of the
earlier versions. 1.4xx
Once that is done I log in via https://localhost:10000 (if I am at the
machine) or https://lanip:10000 if I have it on the LAN or
https://fqdnorstaticip:10000 if I have it accessible on the internet.
By the way it
defaults to https. If you want you can disable it after first login. You
have to use root access to log in, it defaults to that. I would not
recommend the last option i.e. https://fqdnor staticip:10000 because of
this.
I also use the update tool within to upgrade it to the latest version. If I
am unable to update it directily from the website, I download the rpm and
use the option to update from a local location.
Then I clone the root access to a user and delete the root access entry. I
also clone or create other webmin users as required. Please ensure that you
use secure passwords for the webmin users.
I also deny root access via ssh via webmin (so simple to do so) if I allow
ssh access to the server. Only specified users are allowed to access via
ssh. Good idea to install denyhosts so that brute force ssh attacks are
mitigated. fail2ban is a more comprehensive tool for the same and deals with
other brute forceattacks on other ports.
I have been using webmin for a long time.
It is a useful tool to ease management of your server.

Khan Md. Ashraf