Jake Vickers wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:

While I agree with your position and hypothetical scenario, I don't believe that adding an MX record for each host is the correct nor best solution.

I don't see any purpose in adding an MX record for each host that sends email. An MX record is intended as an indication of where to send mail for a specific domain (destination), not an indication of 'license to send' (as you put it). It has nothing to do with a source. (Please cite an RFC if I'm wrong on this). chkuser simply uses this as a (somewhat crude) way to verify the validity of the sender's domain, in case a bounce message would need to be sent later on.

Adding an MX record to allow a host with a default configuration to send mail is also dangerous and irresponsible. Giving any ol' server that can send mail by default a 'license to send email' is not (imo) a good practice. Any server that's sending mail should be properly configured, which I don't believe most default configurations are.

BL, these servers in question are problematic because their default configuration is set to use "acco...@host.domain.com" as the sending address. While adding an MX record will indeed allow such email to pass chkuser's filter, this MX record also announces to the world that mail to host.domain.com is being accepted by the specified server in the DNS record, which is clearly not the case. I believe that properly configuring the sending server to authenticate itself, just like everyone else who submits email, is the best solution.

No, a MX record is not the best choice for Mike's scenario. Don't confuse this with correct, nor twist it to mean that adding a MX record for any unconfigured host is correct or implied. We have two issues that look similar here.

Good. I guess I'm not seeing the 2nd issue.

His best choice will be to authenticate, IMHO, and we both agree on this.
RFCs do state that a domain must accept bounce messages if it sends messages (IIRC, paraphrased). How do I send a bounce to host.domain.com if there is no MX record? If you're sending as host.domain.com then there must be an MX record to accept bounces/abuse/postmaster emails. I may have misinterpreted RFCs here. No, I won't go dig up RFCs on this. If someone wants to take the time to dig them up then I'm sure we'll all be appreciative. (And why should I accept mail for a host that is incorrectly configured to send mail anyway? )

I agree.

You're implying that I should change the default settings of chkuser to allow domains that do not have MX records, to make it easier to accept mail from servers that are not correctly configured, unless I'm misreading what you're typing. Seems to me this would cause one (most likely more) of 3 things:
more spam in everyone's boxes
additional load on spamassassin/clamav
everyone to go and change the tcp.smtp file to turn MX checking back on

I certainly did not mean to imply such a thing. I don't think that changing chkuser settings to accomodate a misconfigured server is a good practice.

At the same time, if someone wants/needs to do such a thing, I think that QMT should accomodate it in a simply way. What I'd like to see is chkuser compiled with its default settings, but with the CHKUSER_SENDER_MX setting specified in the tcp.smtp file for the 'stock' toaster. This would allow someone, however ill-advised, to change the setting without having to recompile the source code. That's different than recommending the non-use of this setting.

IMHO the best choice is to leave it as is, and for those that want/need it changed to go and change it in their configuration.

Once again, they cannot change this without recompiling. This can be made this easier to do.

I'd rather not change something to make it easier for 10 people, and cause 100 other people to have to configure their systems to turn it back on. Even if it is just an entry in tcp.smtp. Not to mention documentation changes, typo-downtimes, traffic on the list, etc. A wiki page explaining how to recompile to change this setting seems the best choice for those that need to change it.

This can be done w/out causing anyone to turn it back on. A little scripting in the %post section would do the trick.

It's up to you though. Perhaps doing something ill-advised should be difficult to do.

This whole chkuser situation will likely become moot in the future anywise, as spamdyke will possibly take on all of chkuser's functionality.