Jim Shupert wrote:
I think I am going to try this
http://systems.takizo.com/2010/03/26/configure-smarthost-smtp-authentication-on-postfix/

Jim Shupert wrote:
friends,

I wish to have a machine send me an email when the dir changes -- basically if someone ftps something.
I have been successful in using dnotify to 'be aware" of such a change.
and I am trying to send the email with mutt

here is my problem..

How do i get my qmail toaster to allow this email to be delivered.

basically the mail bounces back rejected by my mail server -- i never GET the mail

is it an authentication problem? should i do a smart host ( i have heard about that but do not understand it )

basically how can i execute a file.sh that will send me an email... via mutt or maybe qmail-inject (?)
but frm a machine ( ftp server ) not the qmail mail server.

thanks!

That'll do ok on a local LAN, but beware that the password will be sent in the clear. :(

Using tls as well as authentication ensures that passwords aren't sent in the clear, regardless of the authentication type used.

Here's what I do (I have a Tomboy note for it):

# cd /etc/pki/tls/certs
# make postfix.pem

# vi /etc/aliases:
root:   sysad...@domain.com
# newaliases

# vi /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd:
mail.domain.com:587 submiss...@domain.com:password
# chmod 600 sasl_passwd
# postmap /etc/postfix/sasl_passwd

# vi /etc/postfix/main.cf:
myorigin = $myhostname (or fqdn)
#mydestination =
mynetworks_style = host
relayhost = mail.domain.com:587
smtp_sasl_auth_enable = yes
smtp_sasl_security_options =
smtp_use_tls = yes
smtp_tls_CAfile = /etc/pki/tls/certs/postfix.pem
smtp_tls_session_cache_database = btree:/var/run/smtp_tls_session_cacheworks_style = host