Rajesh M wrote:
hi

i am planning to migrate a client's domain from one server to another

the problem that worries me is that many users store a copy of the emails
on the server for around 30 days

i dont want their outlook to start downloading all the emails once again

how do i achieve this ?

rajesh

I don't know specifically, but maybe I can help. I presume you're talking about pop3 users who leave messages on the server.

In order to know which messages have already been downloaded, the pop3 protocol uses a UIDL map to identify messages. The client keeps track of which messages have already been downloaded. So if a messages is in the UIDL map that hasn't been downloaded yet, the client fetches it.

In the case of IMAP, the UIDL map is stored in a file. Courier uses courierimapuiddb and dovecot uses dovecot-uidlist.

Pop3 uses a different UIDL map than IMAP though. I'm not sure, but I think pop3 builds the UIDL map dynamically for each request, so it's not actually stored anywhere on the server. You'll need to verify this to be sure. If this is the case, then you shouldn't have a problem at all.

HTH