I'm thrilled to see Aleksander and Lucian working this out.
Can we take this to the devel list? ;)

Lucian Cristian wrote:
about that real install I was talking when I spoken about backend cleanup, if the files are not found in the mentioned place, vpopmail will complain that no backend is installed, of course there may be a workaround like qmail fake install..

Regards
Lucian