Eric Shubert wrote:
Lucian Cristian wrote:
~11 virtual machines (linux/windows) on 2x quad opteron (2.4ghz), 16 gb ram, I think i's been a year since I migrated from ESXi (and ~ one year with ESXi), centos 5.5 with updated kernel and libvirt, no qemu-kvm upgrade because on my system the standard from centos is faster

From ESXi to what? VMware Server or Xen?

Would you please explain how libvirt comes into play? I haven't heard of it.

Care to share your kernel updates? I'm just using the stock kernel, but with a few settings changed per the wiki. I expect that could be improved.

TIA, Lucian.

from ESXi to qemu-kvm (there are some howto's but I used clone over network, for windows is a bit tricky resetting the ide controller) , the new server raid interface was not ok for vmware so I had to use the "real" deal :D, I didn't like esxi because of limited access to host machine and one time I lost all virtual machines (I don't know what was the problem), now backup of images is easy and live migration too, remote manageability is not so cool like vmware but there is a new network protocol (SPICE) hopefully it will be released with fedora 14 and made stable soon

I had some errors related to virtualisation on dmesg and some machine lockup , but after 2.6.32 the errors where gone (opteron supermicro server, on intel ibm and fujitsu all was ok with stock), now I'm on vanilla 2.6.34, and maybe I'll switch to 2.6.35 (on production, fingers crossed :d), the new kernel and qemu can share memory pages so you can have less memory used by machines, but is harder to get it compile on centos 5.x

now I have one server clean and maybe I'll try a fedora to see the performance of the new qemu-kvm and kernel and maybe I'll backport it to centos if it's worth the trouble

regards
Lucian

database 5344 (20100805) __________

http://www.eset.com