From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2010 1:53 PM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: what are the pitfalls of QM w/ NAT?

Patrick Ring wrote:
> I have off and on considered running QMT behind a firewall with NAT at

> one of my offices and just have the firewall appliance "pinholed" with

> what the server needs.
>
> My main office has plenty of IP's, but my other office only has a
> couple available to me, so I'm obviously looking at the idea of using
> one IP to communicate with multiple servers.
>
> Does anybody have any pros vs cons for QMT behind a NAT here?
>
> Thank you,
> Patrick M. Ring
> P. Ring Technologies
> Louisiana Web Host, LLC.
> 985-868-4200

I don't think running QMT behind a NAT'ing firewall is uncommon.

The only concern I would have is the potential of rogue/infected hosts
behind the same public address to spew out spam, causing the address to
be blacklisted. Configuring the firewall to limit outbound traffic on
port 25 to only QMT should take care of that though.

Also, having multiple services/hosts on a single (public) IP address
complicates SSL a little. Setting up multiple A records/names to the
same public address takes care of that though.

    Vickers Consulting Group offers Qmailtoaster support and
installations.
     For additional commands, e-mail:
qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com