On 10/28/2010 03:31 AM, Edward Finlayson wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if any list member would be able to help.

I have a number of domains, on separate IP addresses but whenever a
server connects to the server it receives the same SMTP greeting:

220 *cpa2.localdomain* - Welcome to Qmail Toaster Ver. 1.3 SMTP Server ESMTP

Whereas the hostname should only be the one which reverse resolves in
DNS i.e. mail.domain.com

Not exactly true.

Does anyone know how I would go about enabling this compliance with
RFC821 4.3 and RFC2821 4.3.1

Any help will be gratefully received,

Fin

What RFC 2821 says is this:

"  An SMTP server MAY verify that the domain name parameter in the EHLO
   command actually corresponds to the IP address of the client.
   However, the server MUST NOT refuse to accept a message for this
   reason if the verification fails: the information about verification
   failure is for logging and tracing only."

So you see, the name in the EHLO message merely needs to be resolvable. Change the name in your /var/qmail/control/smtpgreeting file to be any one of your valid hosts (an MX name is good), and you should have no problem.