Hi,
  I have seen this sort of thing where the local pc is using an email client
and an AV package that scans email on sending. For small emails this
is not an issue but when the client is sending a large email with attachments
clients like Outlook can timeout as the proxy mail server takes longer to scan
the outbound email than the timeout of the client. This means the client will
assume the send was incomplete yet the proxy mailer in the AV still completes
the transaction.

Hope this helps.