Well actually there is.  By appropriate file I mean which file is processed first, hence which file should have the lower setting.  In reading this page it's more clear on how it works. >> http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Simscan  This includes this snippet answering your question:

"Breaking this down using parentheses() to help with clarity: (:) is default, as in default processing rule--higher ranking rules can be applied. (clam=yes) scan with clamd (spam=yes) scan with spamd (spam_hits=12) spam score of 12 or greater will be deleted--not delivered once the score hits 12 in this case (attach=.exe:.pif:.scr) block messages with attachments that have these extensions. If that is the only rule in simcontrol, every single mail for every single recipient on every single domain that is accepted by the toaster would be processed by those parameters. "

To me this means that the simcontrol file is processed first.  I am not entirely sure why the local.cf file is needed unless you aren't using Simscan.