> On 01/23/2011 12:27 PM, Cecil Yother, Jr. wrote:
>> I have a server that I installed the QMTISO on with 2TB hard drives.  I
>> installed the OS with only one drive installed because I wanted to
>> backup to the second drive.  When I installed the second drive it now
>> sees them both as one.  I realize this is because the LVG setup.  The
>> question is can I run the second drive "independent" of the LVG?
>>
>> CJ
>>

> Sure you can.
>
> I strongly recommend though that you use the drives in a raid-1
> (mirrored) configuration. That way, you get the benefit of having a copy
> of everything on a 2nd drive (I would not call this a backup however),
> and the host will continue to run even if/when one drive fails.
>
> I don't think the QMTISO will allow you to do this, but I'm not sure.
> You'll need to do a manual/custom HDD configuration for that, which is
> fairly easy to do with the CentOS installer (anaconda).

When you select the "Advanced" option on the ISO installation it will
allow you to manually set partitions.
CJ - if you're asking about REMOVING a device from a LVG, you'll need to
do some research on this - if they're active as "one big drive" then your
current data may be already striped across both spindles and removing one
will remove portions of your current data. I believe there are some
documents and tools documented at the Linux Documentation Project that ay
offer some suggestions on how to remove a drive from configurations such
as this, but you'll need to look into it a little more. I do not have a
lot of experience with it - after being bitten once I use standard mounts
and RAID.
Hope that helps.