Hi all.

I installed and is using fail2ban after Eric wrote about it long time ago.

It works perfectly and is doing a nice job blocking different attemps on my server. (Iptables drop <ip>)

I am using dovecot and is having fail2ban checking the dovecot log for bad password attempts (amongst other checks) - works great.

If You download the fail2ban package (and compile it) there is a qmail.conf script implemented, it may need some tweaking to match Your needs but it's not that hard - You can try Your 'selfmade' conf files on Your logfiles to make sure they work as You planned.

It also uses iptables.

I can only recommend using this tool, it keeps an 'eye' on things constantly - ofcourse there is people out there that makes an effort in trying to bypass fail2ban so never think You're 100% safe.

Regards,

Finn