On 3/2/2011 8:37 PM, Eric Broch wrote:
>  On 3/2/2011 7:48 PM, Eric Shubert wrote:
>> On 03/02/2011 06:34 PM, Eric Broch wrote:
>>>   Hello list,
>>>
>>> I'm trying to implement shared folders in dovecot and have received some
>>> help on the dovecot mailing list. I've been told that I should upgrade
>>> to the most recent version of dovecot. Has anyone on the
>>> qmailtoaster-list upgraded to dovecot v2? If so, as I'm used to working
>>> with RPM installs not port-like installs and upgrades, what procedure
>>> does one use to upgrade. Would I have to uninstall the old version? Is
>>> there an option, like with RPMs, to upgrade to the new version? Should I
>>> even consider upgrading at this point since the upgrade on the toaster
>>> wiki suggests install of  dovecot v-1.2.3. Any help or suggestions would
>>> be greatly appreciated.
>>>
>>> Eric
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
>>>
>> Which version are you running presently?
>>
>> Funny you should post this now. I'm trying (haven't started really) to
>> get my QMTs upgraded from 1.0.10 to 1.2.x this week. Hope to have the
>> rpms done tomorrow and implement over the weekend. I plan on putting
>> the rpms in the QTP repo, for CentOS5, so you should be able to use
>> yum to install the package once I get that done (if you're running
>> COS5 32-bit). I might build the 64-bit rpm if someone really wants it.
>>
>> My understanding is that v1.2.x supports shared folders with ACLs. I
>> use shared folders just fine with v1.0.10, but there's no access
>> controls.
>>
>> Dovecot v2 not quite as stable as 1.2, but I expect that there are
>> some who are running it in production. If someone here is running v2,
>> please chime in.
>>
> Thanks, Eric.
>
> I'm running dovecot-1.2.3 currently per the QMT wiki page replacing
> courier. On the wiki dovecot is installed using the configure, make,
> make install procedure after downloading the tar.gz file.
>
> I've asked questions about implementing ACLs for my installed version
> (v1.2.3) of dovecot on the dovecot mailing list and answers are scarce.
> Those who have responded recommend I upgrade to v2. I see nothing in the
> dovecot documentation suggesting that what I want to do is not possible
> with the v1.2.3.  I just can't seem to get any answers, though.
>
> I have a test server on which I am willing to try this but want to do it
> correctly. I'm not familiar with upgrading using any method other than
> 'yum update' and 'rpm -Uvh.' If anyone knows the procedure for upgrading
> using 'make' commands, I'm all ears.
>
> There is this wiki upgrade document:
> http://wiki2.dovecot.org/Upgrading/2.0, but there is no procedure in it
> for working with tar.gz installs and upgrades.
>
> Eric

Hello list,

After playing around on my test server I installed dovecot v2.0.9.

This was my procedure:

(Stop Qmailtoaster)
1) qmailctl stop

(Uninstall dovecot v1.2.3)
2) cd /my/dovecot/dir/dovecot-1.2.3
3) sudo make uninstall

(Install dovecot v2.0.9)
4) cd /my/dovecot/dir
5) wget http://dovecot.org/releases/2.0/dovecot-2.0.9.tar.gz
6) tar -zxvf dovecot-2.0.9.tar.gz
7) cd dovecot-2.0.9
8) ./configure --with-vpopmail --with-ssl=openssl
9) make
10) sudo make install

(Create the v2.0.9 configuration file from v1.2.3 configuration file and
put it in v2 directory)
11) cp /usr/local/etc/dovecot.conf     /usr/local/etc/dovecot/dovecot.conf
12) cd /usr/local/etc/dovecot
13)  doveconf -n > dovecot-2.conf (Create v2 compatible file)
14) cp dovecot-2.conf dovecot.conf (Rename v2 compatible file)

(Edit v2 file)
15) Removed the following setting from dovecot.conf  (IMAP will not work
with this setting)

    service auth {
       user = vpopmail
    }

15) qmailctl start

All seems to be working correctly.

The ACL options I was trying to get working under v1.2.3 are now working
in v2.0.9

Eric