On 03/29/2011 06:13 PM, Mike Canty wrote:
To All,
        Last night I converted my mail server from Courier to Dovecot,
following the setup announced last week.
http://wiki.qmailtoaster.com/index.php/Replacing_Courier_IMAP_with_Dovecot_I
MAP

I tested the system initially on a backup machine and this seemed to work
and I was able to connect to the backup server with an IMAP account and see
all of the mail there.

Unfortunately my testing was not good enough, as I can across three issues
when I completed the changeover.

1.      Some users were able to connect and others not. Looking in the log,
I could see "Aborted login (tried to use disabled plaintext auth)".

         I rectified this by placing "disable_plaintext_auth = no" in the
/etc/dovecot/toaster.conf file.

You realize this is a security risk, right? Doesn't happen often, but I have seen passwords acquired by spammers this way. Just about every client can use TLS these days (except Outlook'03).

2.      Subfolders on some accounts came across, outside of the "INBOX" as
expected, but others did not.

        Once again this was rectified by "Subscribing" to folders in the
Microsoft Outlook Client, from the Inbox Properties (IMAP Folders)

I don't know how to avoid this. Haven't done extensive testing.

3.      The third issue, came in two parts.  Squirrelmail did not work.
Initially all I could get was a blank screen for
"mailserver/webmail/src/login.php" screen.

        I found, after playing with the configurations
(/etc/squirrelmail/config_local.php), by changing the line
"$default_folder_prefix = ;" to "$default_folder_prefix = ' ';" , I was able
to login.

        However, I am not able to display the subfolders, that are outside
of the Inbox.  I know Eric did not want to have these folders in the Inbox
as he thought this was not necessary (see comments in
/etc/dovecot/toaster.conf).  I have tried a number of different settings
(see below) but all I can get is the standard "Inbox", "Drafts", "Trash" and
"Sent" folders.  Can anyone assist here?

Setting tried so far.

$optional_delimiter = '.';
$default_folder_prefix = '.';

$optional_delimiter = '.';
$default_folder_prefix = 'INBOX.';

$optional_delimiter = ' ';
$default_folder_prefix = ' ';

Any help here would be appreciated

Mike Canty

I'm using:
$optional_delimiter       = 'detect';
$default_folder_prefix    = '';

Looks like a type-o on the wiki page. I'll fix that (and check my configurations - not sure where it came from).

Thanks for the report, Mike.