I would like to see opinions about this as well. Most of my QMT hosts have been on dynamic IPs in the past, so they use a smarthost relay. A few have been converted to static IPs recently, and I'm in the process of converting them to send mail out directly. I expect there will be a few hoops to jump through, for instance with yahoo. We should probably have a wiki page that addresses deliverability issues. Some are probably already covered in the faqs.

Does anyone have any insights they'd care to share?

On 04/27/2011 09:46 AM, Helmut Fritz wrote:
Thx Eric.  Yeah I was more pointing out the scripts.

I will check out Jakes, and it would be great to get opinions on DKIM.

Necessary?

Or just good to do?

Or not really needed?

Helmut

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Shubert [mailto:e...@shubes.net]
Sent: Wednesday, April 27, 2011 7:43 AM
To: qmailtoaster-list@qmailtoaster.com
Subject: [qmailtoaster] Re: qmail-dk

On 04/26/2011 09:04 PM, Helmut Fritz wrote:
Hello!

I am running latest version of toaster and had a client run into the
qmail-dk signing issue last night - with only one email recipient. He
tried multiple times to send the email - same thing.

"554 qmail-dk: Cannot sign message due to invalid message syntax.
(#5.3.0)"

There are very rare (unidentified) circumstances where this error occurs.

Is it still best practice to unlink qmail-dk and use qmail-queue.orig?

TTBOMK, yes.

Is there a good way to use DKSIGNing? I found a reference to some
scripts by a Kyle Wheeler.

http://qmail.jms1.net/patches/domainkeys.shtml

JMS recommends *not* patching qmail to implement DK. Kyle's method uses perl
scripts, which is much more flexible.

See http://www.memoryhole.net/qmail/#dkim

I haven't implemented Jake's DKIM scripts yet personally. I suspect they're
the same as Kyle's, but I'm not sure. Would someone care to compare these
with what Jake's video uses and verify if they're the same or not? If
they're not the same, I'd like to see a comparison.

is DKSIGNing necessary or suggested? Is qmail-dk now reliable and
something different caused the issue with this one recipient address?

<opinion>
If DK isn't yet deprecated, it probably should be. DKIM is preferable.
</opinion>

DKIM is not required. It *may* affect deliverability to some destinations,
but I'm not sure to what degree. Someone else may have some experiences to
share in this area.