El -10/01/37 16:59, Jake Vickers escribió:
On 07/07/2011 11:47 AM, Sergio M wrote:
Hi there list.
Yesterday I had this weird problem with my QMT box. First, the SMTP and POP3 services stopped to answer. So I ssh'ed in and made a qmailctl stat.
Every service looked like this:
supervise: fatal: unable to acquire log/supervise/lock: read-only file system

So I tried to qmailctl stop and start, but neither of them worked. I decided to reboot. And then I lost connection to the box. After I made it to the datacenter, i found out that it was stuck in the boot sequence, waiting for the root password to be entered to make a manual fsck. I entered passwd, ran 'fsck /' and it fixed some inodes and stuff. It finished booted and everything went to normal. I forced a fsck with 'shutdown -Fr now' and found nothing.

So the questions:
1. I found nothing about thise read-only error on the archives. Anyone has any ideas of what might have happened or where to look for possible causes? 2. Is there a way to configure CentOS to do this fsck on boot completely unattended? So that it it reboots again there is no need to go to the NOC to enter root password and run the fsck manually?

This is not QMT specific.
Look in your messages file for for medium errors - what most likely happened is that there were some bad sectors on the disk, which ended up timing out and causing the system to mount it read only. As far as automtically doing this on a boot (when needed), yes and no. Yes if the system is not in too bad of shape - no if the system is bricked. In your /etc/fstab file, the fifth column is your dump options, and the sixth column your filesystem check options. Dump is for backups, so you can ignore. The sixth column for the filesystem check - that's the one you want. When the system boots up, it determines what order to do a filesystem check (if neede) by the number in the sixth column. If it's a zero, it is not checked, and if there was an error on that system is will be unmounted or read only when the system boots up. I normally use a "1" for my root filesystem to get that checked first, but that's my option.

Ok, thank you Jake.

I will clone the HDD in a new one just to be sure and leave the old one aside.

Thanks!
-Sergio