Using dovecot in place of courier will give much better imap performance. Dovecot will be the stock imap service in QMTv2. Many QMT users are already running dovecot. See the wiki for instructions.

I haven't run dovecot with mailboxes quite as large as 30G, but it handles 8G or so nicely, with nothing special hardware wise.