On 12/16/2011 03:07 PM, Brent Gardner wrote:
Eric Shubert wrote:
On 12/16/2011 11:25 AM, Brent Gardner wrote:
I updated clam the other day using qtp-newmodel and I had to fix rights
on /var/log/qmail/smtp. Some of my scripts I was running interactively
weren't working right because of this. I fixed the rights issue before
the daily report jobs ran, so I don't know if they would have been
affected.

Brent Gardner

Brent,

I'd like to know specifically what happened with this. I'm guessing
it's water over the dam now though.

Updating clamav-toaster (using any method) shouldn't be touching
anything in /var/log/qmail/smtp/.

Please let us know next time so this can be fixed if it's indeed a
problem.

It's probably a problem on my end, but the next time I update, I'll pay
more attention.

I admin my toasters using an unprivileged account and sudo. Before I
knew about the nice qtp scripts that have been created to view logs, I
wrote my own. I give them a date range and path to files containing log
entries created by DJB products and they spit out log file entries with
YYYY-MM-DD hh:mm:ss.zzzzzzzzz time stamps that I can pipe to grep or any
other utility. I've grown accustomed to them so I continue to use them.
It's easier to use them without sudo, so I loosen up the rights on
/var/log/qmail/spamd and /var/log/qmail/smtp.
So as fas as my systems go, it's probably a problem I have caused.
qtp-newmodel probably resets rights on these directories to more a more
secure default.

Brent Gardner

Thanks for clearing that up Brent.

FWIW (to be clear), it's the package spec file which controls/sets permissions of files belonging to the various packages. qtp-newmodel doesn't do this itself, but simply builds the packages and runs the typical rpm command(s) to install the packages.

Thanks again.