On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 10:54 PM, Kalil Costa - Brasilsite
<ka...@brasilsite.com.br> wrote:

> unfortunately it's not brute-force. They are real users, the error begins to
> appear and I get calls in my help desk reporting the problem.
>
> I'm thinking it might be mysql......
>

> any ideia ?

I have seen problems with a toaster that has a mysql under heavy load.

I would recommend running 'mytop' or similiar utility to see what's
going on with mysql? If you are running any other web apps on the
server they might be also the reason behind mysql slowing down.

Also just running top and sar should give you an estimate how burdened
your server is in general.

If you get the errors only when you have heavy load, then its most
probable that you do not have enough resources or you have broken
hardware (a failing hard disk causing a lot of extra i/o or broken
memory doing strange things).

One thing you can always try if you haven't yet, is to replace
courier-imap with dovecot? Its much more slicker and most likely
causes less burden on vpopmail.

Regards,
Peter