at 8:44 AM, Casey Price<ca...@smileglobal.com>

wrote:
>>> I'm curious to hear which hypervisors some of you
guys are using for
>>> virtualizing QMT or just VMs in
general. I played around with Citrix
>>> XenServer for a
good 6-8 months last year, very very briefly checked

out
>>> Hyper-V, and currently am running Xen on CentOS 5.7
on a few of my
>>> PowerEdge
>>> 2650's. I
also briefly tried out VMware's free one...ESXi?

>From what I've been hearing, KVM is supposed to be
the new up and
>>> coming
>>> standard. I
haven't used it at all and don't know much about it, but I
>>> was
>>> hoping to get some recommendations
from others on here. Someone
>>> mentioned

Proxmox on here a few weeks back, so I downloaded Proxmox VE 1.9 and
>>> installed it on a server I just recently bought the other
night.

>>> That's about as far as I've
gotten with it at this point, so maybe
>>> someone
>>> can provide some insight?
>> I've ran my toaster
in a centos5 + xen combination and been quite
>> happy with it.
No stability or perfomance issuses whatsoever.

Xen is not officially supported in rhel/centos version 6, but there is
>> a 3rd party repository for the kernel/xen packages and those
have been
>> working with ok for my dom0 and web server domUs.
As qmailtoaster does
>> not support centos6 yet, I havent tried
installing a toaster on
>> centos6 domU though.
>>
>> I would be interested in trying out KVM, but for
me it has seemed
>> still a bit immature, so I went with 3rd
party Xen. And as time
>> resources are limited I don't want to
waste time learning another
>> technology as I have a working
solution with Xen.

>> Regards,

Peter

>> (www.vickersconsulting.com)
>>      Vickers
Consulting Group offers Qmailtoaster support and

installations.
>>        If you need professional help with
your setup, contact them

qmailtoaster-list-unsubscr...@qmailtoaster.com
>>       For
additional commands, e-mail:

qmailtoaster-list-h...@qmailtoaster.com

> Excuse the stupid question, but what's the advantage of VM over
> hardware?  Are you running multiple instances of VM?  Isn't there
> performance loss over hard iron when running multiple
instances?

Nah, not stupid if you haven't had the need.
VM allows one iron box server (Host) to run multiple instances of other
servers (Guests) within it.  Those guests can be anything from
Windows, Linux, workstation, server, I think even MAC but not sure.

The gain is where most time a hard box running something like mail
or database might spend it's life at 10% load or less.  Why waste the
other 90%?  Also, why have the duplicate hardware like drives, power
supplies, etc.

Just to help visualize, I'm running VSphere
4.1.  I have 2 quad core dual xeon socket servers with 16G in
each.  For storage, there's a NAS box (Qnap) with 4Tb sharing out NFS
shares.  On those shares are the files for my VM guests.  The 2
servers (hosts) reach into the NFS and run the guests much like you run
instances of Word, Excell, etc.  Within those 2 hosts, I have a total
of I think 10 guests all running.  Web servers, mail servers,
database servers, etc.  Very cool huh?  As they say, you aint
seen nothin' yet.
Here's where the magic comes in...
Since both
hosts are same hardware and they are managed centrally, if one host drops
dead, within seconds the other host picks up the dead hosts running guest
servers.  Just like clustering but for the whole server not just an
application.
Also, if one of the guests starts getting out of hand
and eats up the hosts resources, other guests will migrate to the other
host to give it room.  All AUTOMAGICALLY!!