On 03/31/2012 05:03 PM, Rajesh M wrote:
at this point i was not thinking of raid at all.

I don't do any server w/out raid-1 (at least) any more. The HDD is the component most likely to fail, and software raid-1 is affordable continuity insurance (imo).

dir_index (tune2fs option) specified.

todate i never had to used noatime and nodiratime and dir_index. Are there
any negatives of using this. i using this server only for qmailtoaster ?

I don't know of any negatives of specifying noatime and nodiratime. It only means that the access times on files and directories won't be updated. I don't know of anything this affects, and it does improve HDD performance slightly.

dir_index on the other hand does have a potential negative. It requires a little overhead on writes and deletes, but reads are faster. I think the overhead's negligible. This is mostly to improve imap, and I can see where having this setting with a lot of pop3 accounts might be slightly detrimental.

the client transmits around 30 gb data per day - 60000 emails per day in
between there employees and also with external entities

That's a ton all right.