Ok,
 So I did go with the 3ware-8006-2lp card and no issues yet..
I do prefer HW raid if it is at my disposal but its been a while since I have had to deal with this. I do remember about firmware or onboard raid was fake but did not dawn on me till I had the update issue. Went back and researched the onboard chipset and it does not support linux.
So another face palm on my part.
But I do like the older 3ware (ol-reliable) cards to do HW raid. I have not worked with any of the
new LSI gear yet.
 I do Like the Supermicro servers though (FAST)..
Dave